Kayla Hounsell – No Place Like Home in Newfoundland & Labrador

Occupation: Journalist (Reporter/Anchor for CTV Atlantic)

Place of Birth: Brookfield, NL

Currently Resides: Halifax, NS

Where’s your favourite place in Newfoundland & Labrador to grab a coffee?

Giovannis Cafe, Gander, NL (That’s where I grew up!)

Where’s your favourite place in Newfoundland & Labrador to pick up something sweet?

New-Wes-Valley Gas Bar for Caramel Tarts. It involves boiling a can, yes a can, of sweet milk for 3 hours! Sounds crazy but your taste buds will love it!

Where’s your favourite place to shop in Newfoundland & Labrador ?

Avalon Mall, St.John's!

What’s the one dish you crave when you’re away from Newfoundland & Labrador ?

Chicken Fingers, Fries, Dressing & Gravy from Dowding’s Restaurant in Pound Cove, NL. The best comfort food there is!

Where in Newfoundland & Labrador would we stand to see your favourite view?

On one of Marine Atlantic’s ferries in the Gulf of St. Lawrence. There is no view more stunning than when you first catch a glimpse of our beautiful island and you know you’re almost home!

Name 3 things we’ve gotta do when we visit Newfoundland & Labrador:

1. Do the boardwalk around Cobb’s Pond in Gander. The most peaceful thing you’ll ever do!

2. Check out the beach in Lumsden. The best one in NL, and perhaps the province’s best kept secret. At least it was...

3. It’s a tourist hotspot, but you can’t go to NL without taking the trek up Signal Hill. It’s shrouded in history, and seeing St. John’s lit up at night will take your breath away!

What makes Newfoundland & Labrador such a special place on earth for you?

It’s home, and no matter where life’s travels take me, it always will be. It’s really that simple. Newfoundland’s rugged beauty still strikes me every time I see it, but I carry the warmth of its people with me every day. The island’s isolation has provided countless hardships over the years, but it is also what gives us our unique culture and people. I am keenly aware being raised in Newfoundland is the reason I am who I am today. Returning once a year is what keeps me grounded and reminds me of what is most important in this world. I wouldn’t have it any other way, and I know I’m so lucky to call it home.

1. Thanks for the tips and all spoken like a true Newfoundlander, right from the heart,, Good luck Kayla

Comment by Dwight — November 29, 2010 @ 11:35 am

2. Job well done. You have said everything that a true newfoundlander holds at heart.

Comment by Donna Parsons — January 8, 2011 @ 11:51 am

3. Very true Kayla I can tell by your comments, that there is no place like home. Also cant wait to try Dowdings AKA Barbours again. I think me and your dad might have some work experince there, peeling potatoes back in the early 70's.

Comment by David Hounsell — April 28, 2011 @ 4:27 pm

4. Kayla:
    I love your comments about Newfoundland the province that also gave us Donald Brian and allowed me to write his biography, King of Broadway a few years ago. Every visit I make is memorable.
    And so are your interviews on CTV. The one you did on Stan Kutcher of IWK was the best CTV has ever broadcast. Alas, we don't get enough of you as an interviewer which is a shame. You are so good at asking intelligent questions that enhance every occasion.
    Thank you Kayla. Keep loving Newfoudland.
    Charles Foster
    Riverview, New Brunswick

Comment by Charles Foster — January 10, 2013 @ 4:03 pm

5. Kayla my dad would like to know who your parents are. His grandfather was Josiah and his dad was Kenneth from pound cove. My dad is Norman. Thanks

Comment by Kymberly Hounsell — January 23, 2014 @ 7:55 am

6. Kayla...I look forward to you reading the news on weekends. You do a marvellous job, made even more fetching by your beautiful smile. You're great.

Comment by robert — March 16, 2014 @ 4:45 pm

7. Kayla, My name was Dallas Stratton married Roger Harmon from Missouri. I grew up in Gambo but my husband worked for EPA, Gander.
    My Dad's family is from Valleyfield, Greenspond area.
    I knew a Wayne Hounsell family from home.
    I love your weekend news, don't tell him but you do a better job than Steve Murphy and you're a lot prettier.

Comment by Dallas Harmon — October 3, 2014 @ 6:26 pm

8. Hi Kayla, Great job on delivering news to viewers, chips dressing & gravy huh,,,,, have when i see it out there,, latest place was Smokey's in Burnside on Wright if you did not know.

Greg - fellow newfie

Comment by Greg Skanes — October 4, 2016 @ 9:04 am

9. Hey Kayla. I watched you all those years on CTV news and had no idea you were Dwight's daughter. I played softball with your dad and uncle Jim, Denise and I went to MUN together, what a small world!! And yes, you were better than Steve Murphy 🙂

Comment by Brad Stokes — January 15, 2018 @ 9:27 am